Thursday 27 November 2008

Research Posting (Media)

Saul Bass (May 8, 1920 - April 26, 1996)
was a graphic designer & academy award- winning filmmaker. He is known for his design on animated title sequences.

I find his pieces very interesting, and I like the fact he has his own trademark in a way; LINES!

A prime example of this trademark is comic thriller 'North b
y Northwest'. A film by Mr Hitchcock, which he produced at MGM in 1959. There is a theme of theater and play-acting which runs throughout the film. Everyone is playing a part, no one is who they seem.



I love this everything about this tit
le sequence. From the music to the choice of colour.
The thing I love about it is the w
ay it starts immediately. Seven seconds into the film and the lines already begin. What I love about Saul Bass is the continuity of his work. The simplicity and elegancy of the lines is outstanding. I think the music really emphasises the elegancy of the lines. To keep the audience 's attention, the lines just keep going - but for some reason it is not boring at all. You need to see Saul Bass' work to enjoy it. If you were to hear it, I don't think people would be that interested. There is something overpowering about his sequences that just grab you in and you can't turn away. The lines are just so graceful, and easy to focus on. You
don't even want to blink in case you miss something.
Another thing I quite liked about this opening is the actual title. The font is simple, and easy to read. The theme of lines still remain. Nothing has changed, it is not complicated at all and
I like this.
I also love the witty arrows next to the film
title.

Finally, the title sequence comes to a end. I actually LOVE this last part of the fil
m. Again such simplicity. The titles fade, and the lines now become a building. I really, really like how this is done.









I think my favourite title sequence by Bass has to be...




Vertigo 1958

A Hitchcock thriller - A San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia investigates the strange activities of an old friend's wife, all the while becoming dangerously obsessed with her.

In my opinion it is Hitchcock's most personal piece of film. He never let himself get carried away in such a sentimental choice after it. There could be a HUGE psychological background beneath it, for those who want to search for it.

You can also, of course, have a good time watching it.

I think it is safe to say together, Hitchcock and Bass are the masters of title sequences. Hitchcock always spent a lot of time on his openings. I love this opening because it features some of his trademarks i.e. - the extreme closeup of the eye, the swirling circle (like in Psycho)

Also Vertigo is one of the most glorious examples of movie music. Bernard Herrmann is beyond a doubt one of the greatest composers of the 20th century.


Inspired by Bass



Catch Me if You Can - 2002
It isn't hard to see that this title sequence has been deeply inspired by Saul Bass' work. I like how they have given it a modern edge, and also I love how they tell a story through animation. This reminded me of "North by Northwest".


"Design is thinking made visual" - Saul Bass



No comments: