Wednesday 19 November 2008

Title Sequence Brief Analysis

Welcome
I'm Tara, and I have chosen to work independently.
I am deeply inspired by Alfred Hitchcock. I would love to create a piece as amazing as his.

MY
initial IDEAS;

I need to decide what the storyline is going to be. This will help when I come to think about sound and imagery. After much brainstorming I have come to a first decision. I wish to create something obscure. I'm also inspired by musician, Tom Waits. His music is odd, unique and not everyone's choice. I quite like the idea of using his song titles as an idea for my film.


POSSIBLE film TITLES;

- Sins of my Father
- Kommienezuspadt
- Dead and Lovely
- Reeperbahn


I want my film to be a crime/film-noir piece. Something like Se7en.


Se7en
Director: David Fincher
Released: 1995



This title sequence is stylistically deeply claustrophobic. The sequence doesn't give away much, but enough. There is a great deal of iconography featured in the opening. Fincher has done this to emphasise the theme that runs throughout the film. A prime example of this is when the audience are shown a flickering image of a razor blade. This makes the audience feel tense, as a weapon like this has connotations of danger, risk and death.
An instinctive reaction is made within the audience. They begin to feel on edge in preparation for the rest of the film.

The constant flashes of photographs and newspaper cuttings create the feeling of danger. An impression is also starting to build up here of the character that is not yet revealed. The audience can recognise he is prepared and malicious. He cuts out the word 'God' out of a dollar. This could suggest he is religious, and perhaps America is ungodly. The film itself
is about the seven deadly sins. We also hear, just before the opening comes to an end, the words: 'closer to god'. This could also suggest something about the underbelly of religion.

The opening is dominated by extreme close-ups and the micro aspects of a murderer. We are drawn into his world. I also feel that sound and cinematography both play key roles. The music is edgy, but it is the non-diagetic sounds that make the audience feel anxious.

The cinematography of the fim is hugely inspired by film noir. The colour saturation is amazing, there is a huge contrast between light and dark. This link to film noir maked the audience feel uncomfortable.

The opening sets the tone of the film. We know it is going to take us to the darker side of humanity.

The other film I looked at today is an animated feature called: 'Film Noir' !

www.filmnoirthemovie.com

I watched the trailer for it on the site above. It looks amazing! I'm quite interested in the idea of doing an animated film noir. I think it could be quite interesting and unique. I'm really looking forward to creating a double indemnity in my film.

No comments: