Wednesday 18 March 2009

Evaluation - Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My film focuses on the older generation - middle-aged adults. I feel my opening does not really focus on any social groups in particular but if it were to I feel the film represents the working class.

I cast Alan Fairnie as the role of the protagonist as I thought he would suit the mindset of a murderer and comes across as someone with a lot on his mind. My protagonist is focused, hard-working and always has a lot to do. I needed my character to look tired to create the illusion that he is staying up late. I filmed at the end of the day making sure Fairnie looked a little tired, but not exhausted. I thought this would work perfectly. However I used Ian Elmslie when it came to creating the voice-over. There was something I couldn't articulate with Alan. I think this is partly because Ian is a drama teacher. He is excellent when it comes to getting into character and I thought this would be the most sensible thing to do. I wrote up a script for Ian and described what kind of tone I was going for and he responded outstandingly.

I also cast Leanne Whittaker as the role of the femme fatale. I thought she would be perfect for the part as she is tall, slim and blonde. I thought the blonde and red would together nicely to pull off the seductive look. Whilst working with Leanne I suggested she wore something red. Originally I wanted her to be wearing a red dress with red heels. Fortunately Leanne improvised and suggested a red shirt with lipstick to match. The lips were a lovely feature and add greatly to the sequence.

No comments: