Wednesday 18 March 2009

Evaluation - Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Looking back I have learnt that working independently is the best thing to do. I have also realised how massive the leap is from a continuity piece to a whole sequence and that creating an opening sequence is not as straight forward as it seems. When receiving the brief I thought it would be fairly easy to create a two minute opening title sequence. I decided to work independently as whilst I was working on my continuity piece there was a lot of chasing around I had to do. I was constantly relying on others and I was not happy. I thought it would be easier to work on my own rather than in a group. Also I seemed to be the only person in my class interested in exploring the genre, noir. I liked the idea of being different and being the only one interested in this genre.
I think it would have been a lot more easier if I had worked in a group. When it came to shooting I could not do everything at the same time, there were many things that I needed to have under control such as: the lighting and the framing so I had to ask my friends to help me. In this sense, working in a group would have helped greatly. Although I think if I worked in a group I think I would not have been happy. I had a very precise visual idea of how I wanted each one of my shots to look exactly. I feel I have grown more comfortable with editing, and setting up each frame. I have learnt how vital the micro elements are to a piece of film as together they convey meaning to its audienceIn regards to the final piece I feel the progression relies deeply on planning, construction and organisation. I have learnt how important it is to storyboard each frame avoiding last minute decisions and complications. Whilst shooting my preliminary task I storyboarded some shots but not all. This led to confusion and I feel it had a very rushed feeling to it. Fortunately this was a fairly simple task and when it came to the video brief I storyboarded everything and also re-did storyboards when my ideas changed. I feel I benefitted from this and I am glad I went through this difficult process because at the end of the day I created something I am proud of.

No comments: