Friday 6 February 2009

I want a million different voices speaking in tongues..

I have done my rough cut of my opening, I am now starting to think about voiceovers as I am now editing in Final Cut.


Voiceovers.

I LOVE VOICEOVERS.

They are so powerful, and I really can't wait to use one.


There are many directions I can take this in. I could use a voiceover as a character device, a creative device, or as an educational or descriptive device. I think I am warming to a creative device more than anything. I think these are usually the most effective as they are more obvious way to establish the narrative. I really like the idea of a character narrating, telling the story.


In films voice-overs are often used to create the effect of storytelling by a character/omniscient narrator. For example, in The Usual Suspects, the character of Verbal Kint has voice-over segments as he is recounting details of a crime. This film is just amazing, not JUST because Kevin Spacey is in it, it also has a really good plot twist and ending. I love everything about it. The use of voiceover throughout this film is just incredible. I strongly recommend it as a film you MUST watch before die.

Sadly, I could not find a scene on youtube which featured the powerful voiceover. But here is one of my favourite scenes from the film, the famous lineup.




This scene is just so iconic, for me. This is the scene that the director thought of first of all. I love how this scene created the concept for the whole film. It is also a very funny scene aswel, apparently when they were filming this they could not stopped laughing.

Next..this scene from Moulin Rouge!



Again, another film you MUST see before you die. It is very, very good and features a nice mix of covers. The soundtrack is awesome.
I love this scene for many reasons.
- A very good cover of a very good song
- The cinematography is AMAZING
- The editing is fantastic
And also, I remember watching this right at the start of the year in one of my media lessons.

The use of voiceover is really nice in this film. Again, it is used throughout. I think its a very strong way of establishing the narrative and allowing it stay present, if you like.


Other examples of storytelling voice overs can be heard in Gattaca, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, Big Fish and Goodfellas.


VOICEOVERS FOR THE WIN.


No comments: