Thursday 5 February 2009

Title Sequence, Rough Cut!

Okay, here is my first rough edit!
It's not very good, but I think it is a good starting point.
I'm glad I did this as everything is now coming together!



I decided to create a genre piece for Dimension Films to distribute. As I am going for a Sin City style, I thought this would be a good idea. This could change, I think I'll get opinions before finalising this.

At the moment it is looking really boring, I think. Of course it is going to look loads more better once I edit in Final Cut and add in music and a voice-over. The opening shot is the character Henry, played by Alan Fairnie. The audience see a quick shot of him at a desk, it's dark and there is only one source of light. Here I was trying to create the illusion of this character staying at work after hours, establishing that he is working on something important.

It then cuts to a title credit and a quick glimpse of Claudia, played by Leanne Whittacker. I really like this teaser shot of Leanne's eye, as it does not give away too much and this is exactly what I was aiming for.

After this, we then see Alan's credit and a close-up of him running his fingers around his mouth. This here was a gag improvised by Alan. A nice film reference too. A tribute to Humphrey Bogart.

The title then appears.

------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment it looks really unprofessional. When I edit this properly, I am going to use a better font, and also have the font appearing over the footage. My footage will be in black and white and will feature elements of red. I also plan to letterbox my footage, massively to create a real claustrophobic feeling.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the title fades, this is the point where the voice-over begins. We see Henry working at his desk, as it slowly zooms in Alan will begin to reveal his thoughts to us. I think this clip is either too fast or too short. I can slow this down or use another piece of footage.

He will begin to talk about Claudia and how he could use her as distraction in order to get the money. As he does this we begin to see teaser shots of Claudia. At this point we see her applying lipstick. I am very happy with this shot. It is nice and close, and just works really nicely I think.

We then return to Henry working, but this time at a different angle. He looks slightly frustrated and looks around. At this point I am going to get Alan to talk about how he could get Claudia. He then gets up and exits the frame.

Again, another cut showing even more of Claudia. I like this shot also, but not as much. I think it fits in nicely though.

Henry is now standing up, he walks over to the window and looks out. I really am happy with this shot. I love the lighting in it and the framing is wonderful.

As he is looking out of the window, Claudia walks by. In this shot you can see wires in the background as I used a fog machine. When I edit, I plan to alter the contrast and make the footage darker allowing the wires to become hidden.

He then turns away, and Claudia sparks up. As she does this, he returns to his seat. I think this is a really nice shot that is going to work well with a voiceover as he looks like he is in deep thought. I just need to ace the script and make it sound good. She then exhales.

He taps his feet. This shot represents anxiety, again this will work so much better with a voice over.

She flicks her hair, and Claudia has now been revealed!

The sequence ends with the same opening shot, but this time..panning out.

I know this is not very good but I am really happy I have done this. I can now write a better script as I have a rough idea of how my sequence is going to look. I may not stick to this order, and I may use different footage. The majority of it needs to be slower also, I think. We'll see.

I need a few more ideas on what other credits to include and what fonts to use. This is what I am going to focus on next, before editing in Final Cut Pro.

1 comment:

Nina Moore said...

The rough cut is a great starting point and gives a sense of the mood and tone of your piece. I think the letter boxing idea is great and agree with Alan that some external location work would aid in drawing the two current elements together. Have you recorded your voice over yet? This will inevitably tie the piece together and anchor messages and values, as too will music. Your blog overall is a masterpiece and clearly documents every stage of the production process and your inspirations. I am really excited about your film and can't wait to see the finished product this week. Beautiful, intelligent work. Thank you x